Saturday, December 2, 2006

Totally Worth the Jetlag


It has indeed been 2 weeks since we were in Vietnam, and it is still hard to fathom that I was actually there. It’s been a rather difficult adjustment coming back to America, not simply a 12 hour time difference. I actually miss weaving through the traffic of motorbikes, bargaining at fruit-stands, listening to the crazy Mexican students, and yes even jumbo shrimp the size of my head. The whole week was filled with exciting events, and we must have gotten only 4 or 5 hours of sleep per day. I loved being able to attend the CEO Summit, interviewing people in positions powerful enough to manipulate the economic prospects of a developing region. It was such a privilege to see and hear so many world leaders; I watched in awe as they debated the prospects of the Asia-Pacific region. Though the U.S. is just one of the 21 member economies of APEC, it was often the topic of conversation. From the problem of our immense deficit to the Democrat control of Congress, everyone talked about issues concerning the United States. Just before Condoleeza spoke, the room was filled to capacity and abuzz with excitement. Only the Chinese president was received with as much anticipation. I was extremely proud to represent a country that others looked to for direction yet at the same time embarrassed that we are not as aware of other countries.

Though it is a difficult choice, I think my favorite part of the trip was the chance to interact with students from the different APEC economies. It is always interesting to hear about your country through the perspective of students from other countries. It was a lot of fun to talk about the common misperceptions of our respective cultures. I especially enjoyed getting to know the two students from Brunei. It was interesting to find out that they have similar activities in their university. They also liked going out for coffee and shopping. The Vietnamese students were also very welcoming, always eager to answer our questions and introduce us to their culture. From the Buddhist temples to the boat tour to the national heritage caves, we were amazed by the rich Vietnamese tradition.

Like Kristen, I think this was one of the most amazing and eye-opening experiences I’ve ever had. The week in Hanoi brought to life a lot of the theory I learned in class about free trade and economics. It’s always humbling to visit countries less privileged than the United States, especially realizing how much we take for granted. Coming home, I was more appreciative of the fresh air, streets congested only by cars, and litter-free public spaces. I also realized just how important cultural interaction is to peace. It’s difficult to have conflicts with people or places you have gotten to know and love. This is certainly an experience I would do all again, especially since, 2 weeks later, I am still operating on Vietnam time.

-Ke

No comments: