Sunday, December 3, 2006

Back to "reality"

It's strange being back at Furman, but Vietnam seems like a lifetime ago. When I was in Vietnam, I thought that it was refreshing to see a country that had such positive feelings about globalization, free trade, and the WTO. Many other countries I have been to in the Americas and Europe have espoused more skeptical views. But, on my return I realized that not only does Vietnam not have a free press, but also we did not have the chance to talk to the average person on the street. Rumor has it that beggars and undesirables were paid to vacate the general conference area. Nevertheless, maybe Vietnam has experienced such great benefits that the people will generally favor globalization.

It was exciting to be in Vietnam, because so much is happening. Construction is taking place everywhere. One gets the sense that in six months familiar landmarks will be gone and the place will look quite different. I like the dichotomies of Vietnamese economic growth. For example, along a Japanese-built highway there were signs demarcating some lanes for cars and mopeds and other lanes for bicycles and ox-drawn carts. Below the highway were shacks and people farming by hand.

It's nice to be back in the States. I can definitely see myself going back to Vietnam in the future. There is still so much to see. Thanks Riley Institute for presenting us with such a great opportunity!!!

--Daniella

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yeah....hope you come back VietNam sometimes in the future:)...